No one does yo-yo dieting better than the beautiful Kirstie Alley. Recently, Ms. Alley is back in the news for losing 100lbs at the tender age of 60 and looking more fabulous than ever! She has gained and lost twice as much weight over the years in the public eye and this time may be no more than a publicity stunt to market her Organic Liaison supplement but the damage she must be doing to her body is frightening to think about.
...or the queen Oprah herself...
Experts vary on their opinion regarding the extent of harm that yo yo dieting causes. Most agree however that the emotional impact as well as some serious cardiovascular implications are real.
An article in www.fittoday.com lists several possible negative effects of yo yo dieting:
- The weight loss is temporary
- Inevitable re-gaining of weight may result in depression, stress and eating disorders.
- Fluctuating weight can also result in a higher risk of developing cancer and heart disease.
- Hair loss and osteoporosis
- Fatigue and difficulty concentrating.