Sweet Potato Pudding Cake
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons dark or light rum
- 1 cup 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound sweet potato (about 1 large), cooked (see Tip) and peeled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- To prepare cake: Toss raisins and rum in a small bowl and let stand. Whisk flour, nutmeg and salt in another bowl.
- Mash sweet potato in a large bowl (you should have about 1 3/4 cups). Add eggs; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add coconut milk, 1 cup brown sugar and butter; beat until combined. Stir in the dry ingredients until evenly moistened. Stir in the raisins and any remaining rum. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- To prepare topping: Combine coconut, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Bake the cake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the side ring. Let cool at room temperature for 1 hour, then refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours.
NutritionPer serving : 274 Calories; 8 g Fat; 5 g Sat; 1 g Mono; 58 mg Cholesterol; 47 g Carbohydrates; 5 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 145 mg Sodium; 333 mg Potassium
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrates, 2 fat
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. | Equipment: 9-inch springform pan
- Ingredient note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
- Tip: To cook whole sweet potatoes, pierce the skin in several places with a fork. Bake on a baking sheet at 400°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour or microwave on High for 12 to 15 minutes.